Kiama Jamberoo Music Association hires a space at Jamberoo Uniting Church, 11 Wyalla Rd
Kiama Jamberoo Community Music Association is grateful for the Uniting Church’s open mind and generosity in making the space available to such a diverse array of people and activities.
Some History about Jamberoo Uniting Church
The present church has its origins in the mid 1800’s when European settlers, many of whom were Scottish and Irish, first came to the area. It began as a Wesleyan Chapel in 1851, became Methodist in 1902 and Uniting Church in 1977.
The Jamberoo valley was heavily forested for thousands of years and home to the Dharawal people. The name of the village “Jamberoo” came from the Aboriginal name for the area which translates into “track”.
In 1877 the church was constructed from local sandstone and Pyrmont sandstone. The laying of the four memorial stones took place in 1878. A document containing names and information about the building was placed in a cavity in the stone of the north-west corner. In 1895 the Sunday School hall was built and accommodation for a resident minister who served the parish from 1185 until 1915. In that year the parish headquarters moved to Kiama and to this day the Uniting Church utilises the hall on Manning St which is Kiama’s oldest surviving building.
Heritage Cemetery & Memorials
The adjoining cemeteries have been classified by the National Trust and known gravestones are catalogued by the Illawarra Family History Group. Around the church you will find memorials to individuals and families who contributed to the life of the church community.
Renewal of Premises
In the 1990s a dedicated group renovated the church with the guidance and assistance of local builder Ron Wynn Services and in accordance with heritage requirements. The internal plastering was removed to reveal the sandstone as a feature and crafted timber doors, new vestry and installation of stained glass windows all contributed to make the chapel and hall a welcoming and beautiful space for services and community activities.
In early 2017 then Minister of Kiama Jamberoo Uniting Church, Reverend Rob Buchan, called for a new approach to the utilisation of the historic 1879 sandstone chapel and adjacent hall at 11 Wyalla Rd, Jamberoo.
Whilst traditional church services would remain an integral part of the calendar, the mission was to encourage the expression of the gifts of music, movement and connection for the entire community.
Today the chapel and adjacent hall host a wide range of activities including weekly Yoga, Tai Chi, Singing Circle, French Culture & Conversation classes and the extensive music activities and events of the Kiama Jamberoo Community Music Association.